Wednesday, May 4, 2016

My Daith Piercing Journey

MIGRAINE HELL
Having suffered from migraines for the last several years (one to two a week in the last year or so), I recently became desperate enough to try anything. Medications were working, but taking them every day didn't seem like a great idea for the long haul. Acupuncture had worked in the past, but had become cost-prohibitive (not covered by insurance probably because it actually works) and I hadn't been able to find a good acupuncture person in a long time. I was sick and tired of spending most of my week in my bed or on my couch, with an ice bag on my neck, meds in my system and watching life from the sideline.

AN UNEXPECTED SOLUTION?
Then I stumbled upon an article about daith piercings on Facebook and, while initially dismissing it, kept coming back to it again and again as an option. I started asking around to see if anyone I knew had tried it but no one had. I brought the idea up to my sister who was as desperate as I was to find a solution. We decided to take the plunge and give this thing a try. Neither of us are big on piercings, though we do have tattoos, so this was a big deal for us. 

(What the HECK is a DAITH, you ask???? It is the inner whirl of cartilage in the ear.)

blue titanium hoop daith piercing
THE PIERCING
One afternoon in March we went to the tattoo parlor where we had gotten our latest tattoos (because we had no other ideas or recommendations) and we each had both of our daiths pierced. 

It hurt but it could have been worse. I liked the piercer as a person but did kind of have a gut feeling about their skill level. My sister and I both survived the piercings and by the next day we were both noticing that although our ears hurt something fierce, neither of us had headaches. At all. Which is kind of a big deal when you've pretty much had a headache of various intensities for a year.

green titanium hoop daith piercing
There were a few little bumps in the road. One of my sister's earrings fell out and she had to have the piercing redone at a different tattoo and piercing parlor a month later. The upside was that the folks at this new place, Mastodon Body Piercing, were very experienced and knowledgeable, especially about the daith piercing. They did an EXCELLENT job repiercing her ear and changed out the bars our original piercer had used for hoops on us both. They gave us detailed information about follow up care and were very professional. My sister said it was an entirely different experience from our original foray into the daith piercing world. :) 

RESULTS - AND A BONUS!
The results? I am happy to report that neither my sister nor I have had any migraine headaches since getting the piercings. Not one. We have had headaches, but they have been sinus or allergy headaches that go away with sinus or allergy meds. Just gone. And the bonus? We were unaware that daith piercings can be helpful for those who suffer from anxiety (which we both do) until after we had ours pierced. Both of us have seen a significant decrease in anxiety as well. Both of our husbands have noticed significant differences in our anxiety levels and have said they can see the change physically. 

So... if anyone out there is suffering from chronic migraines and/or anxiety, consider the daith piercing. 

A FEW TIPS:

  • Use an experienced piercer - particularly someone who has a lot of experience doing daith piercing. Seriously. Apparently, it is one of the most difficult piercings to do, so you definitely want someone who knows what they are doing. It makes all the difference. 
  • Keep them clean! Make sure your piercer gives you after care instructions (preferably written out). This shows they are invested in your healing. FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS. 
  • Do one ear at a time. This gives the piercing a good full chance to heal properly without being irritated by using the phone or sleeping. (If you don't use the phone and don't sleep, maybe it won't be a problem.) A good piercer probably won't do both at the same time for that very reason.
  • Use hoops, not bars, for your initial piercing. Hoops are more comfortable, easier to clean around (which you will be doing 2-3 times a day for several weeks), and less likely to fall out (which may result in you having to have the piercing redone).

If you are in the Phoenix, Arizona area, I HIGHLY recommend going to see Shane over at Mastodon Body Piercing. VERY clean, experienced, friendly, compassionate... you name it. AWESOME. (Yes, the outside of their place reminds you of an old dentist's office and can kind of be scary, but trust me, they are clean and friendly inside, which is what really matters.)


Mastodon Professional Body Piercing
Shane, Owner/Piercer
1925 West University
Mesa AZ 85201
480 833-2639

www.mastondonpiercing.com
mastondonpiercing@gmail.com
Instagram: @mastodonpiercing

4 comments:

  1. Andie,

    Thanks for the information...fortunately I only suffer from migraines occasionally so not sure a piercing will be something I do at this point...that said, I know many folks who suffer so I will share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andie,
    Thank you for sharing the information! I will pass it along to people I know that may benefit from this!!! Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, that looks creepy..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, as the first post I've read on this blog is this, I'm not sure what to look forward to. This regardless, is interesting. I plan to get tattoos but never piercings.

    ReplyDelete