Monday, October 3, 2011

Chalkboards

Sooo... if you know me, you know I love to make things and my recent discovery of Pinterest.com has given me a whole new slew of ideas. As I've browsed the Pinterest boards, I realized, maybe other people want to make what I've made too. So I'm going to post some of my creations here. 



Door Chalkboards
Until we are able to afford new interior doors for our home, we wanted to do something to "dress" up the cheap, flat ones we do have. I REALLY wanted to paint many of the doors completely with the chalkboard paint but was willing to compromise with my sweet honey who was a little overwhelmed with that idea. So, I painted chalkboards on each door so we could leave notes for each other or share scriptures or draw pics.

It's actually very easy and all you'll need is contact paper and chalkboard paint! Just cut a stencil out of contact paper, apply contact paper to to the door surface (be sure it is clean) and paint in stencil with chalkboard paint (available at Lowe's or Home Depot). * go lightly around the edges so you don't get blobs of paint under the contact paper. Let dry and enjoy!




Chalkboard Planks
We made these easy to make chalkboards for our boys to use for spelling lists, to-do lists, special notes to each other, etc. over the years. You will need:
wooden plank in the size of your choice
acrylic paint in color of your choice
sandpaper
wood stain (water based works best)
painters tape
chalkboard paint
letters (metal, chipboard, wood, etc.)
hot glue...

1. Sand wooden plank surface smooth and wipe with damp towel to remove sawdust.
2. Paint plank with a couple of coats of acrylic paint and let dry completely.
3. Use sandpaper to remove the paint or "distress" edges of plank and other desired areas. Wipe off sawdust with damp towel.
4. Wipe on a wood stain (I used golden oak) with a rag and wipe off with a clean rag to complete the distressed effect and let dry completely.
5. Mask off the edges of the area you want for the chalkboard with painters tape.
6. Apply a couple of coats of the chalkboard paint to desired areas. Be sure to let dry between coats.
7. Remove the painters tape.
8. Use hot glue or other adhesive to attach letters (I used metal scrapbooking letters and hot glue).

No comments:

Post a Comment